Thursday, August 23, 2012

Question #4-John Watson

“Dear Consulting Bloggers,

I think I may be developing an eating disorder. I feel fat, even though everyone tells me I'm not, and lately I've been eating less and less. I'm scared to tell anyone cos of what they would think of me if they knew. Please help me I don't know what to do! -S.L.”


 

My advice for you depends on what the causes of your feelings are. For most people, it is said to be likely inherent biological factors and a person's social environment play a major role in anorexia. Also, puberty, abuse (rather from home or at school, verbal or physical) relationship issues, and other stress in your life may factor in. Is someone at school saying nasty things about your weight? Are you from a broken home? Are you acting out of hurt from an ex-boyfriend who broke up with you? There are many possible reasons for you to head towards anorexia, and there are other ways to deal with the hurt.

Of course, you can be anorexic without not eating. Basically, any form of unhealthy self-induced weight loss can be considered anorexia nervosa. This includes fasting, low food intake, excessive exercise, diet pills, or vomiting. Side effects of anorexia nervosa include feeling bloated, tired, cold, and stomach pains.

I don’t think, based on what you’ve told me, that your problem has developed this far, but in severe cases of anorexia, you can become chronically ill or possibly even die. You can develop osteoporosis (a disease developed from having fragile bones) and Malnutrition (causes an increase in respiratory infections, kidney failure, blindness, heart attack and death) as well as damage to the heart, liver, kidneys, and your brain. In fact, you may start to find it difficult to concentrate and find yourself experiencing mental health problems like depression and thoughts of suicide. Other side effects may include dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, cancer, infertility, hair loss, paralysis, low blood pressure, slow heart rate, muscle loss & weakness, dry skin, fainting, dizziness, seizures, amenorrhea, hormonal imbalances, bruising easily, problems with your immune system, as well as much, much more. Oftentimes, you will feel weak and may end up losing interest in socializing with your friends.

A person may switch from one eating disorder to the next: for example, if you are a Compulsive Overeater, you may switch to anorexia, then to bulimia, then to anorexia, and so on and so forth.

--Dr. John Watson


 

No comments:

Post a Comment