Monday, October 1, 2012

Question #6-John Watson

“Dear Consulting Bloggers,

I'm almost at the time where I'm going to send college applications. But there's one problem: my parents don't exactly support what I want to be. For the past three years, I've really, really wanted to be an actress, that's the job I want to do. I love acting. But my parents want me to be something else, something that guarantees good payment, like a doctor or a lawyer. They disapprove of my dream to be an actress, even though I tell them it's what I love doing. Is there anything I can do to change their mind? Should I continue and live to be an actress, regardless of what my parents think? -M.T.”

 

 

Dear M.T-

While I do not want you to go against your parents’ wishes, and I can most certainly understand where they are coming from, I truly believe that this is your life. Eventually, you will be living on your own, as an adult, without your parents around, and you will be the one making all the decisions, without their help (well maybe once or twice, but you cannot consult them on every problem you have as an adult) and now is the time to learn good decision-making skills. However, you are also living in your parents’ home and must also listen to the people who care and provide for you.

You said your parents want you to explore another profession other than an actress, “something that guarantees good payment, like a doctor or a lawyer.” Might I point out that I myself am a doctor, and in my years of being a doctor, I have been shot during the war, and I am currently partnered with a Consulting Detective? (Do you know how much Sherlock gets paid? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He enjoys it, and he has so many connections from past mysteries he’s solved, he can afford to keep a home and food. Granted, he usually makes me buy the food, but that’s beyond the point.) All those years of Med school, and here I am, frantically looking for a job that I can work in between Sherlock’s mysteries. While he may have connections, I do not.

And er, last time I checked, actors and actresses got paid pretty decently. Are your parents worried that you won’t be able to succeed in the acting business? Is that why they are pushing for you to explore other options?

I say go for acting, and if that doesn’t work out, try something else. Not all actors are in films, you know. I love the theatre, myself, and there is certainly a much higher chance that you can appear on Broadway or Skakespeare, or something along those lines. (And, by doing this, the people who are searching for actors with talent will see you perform, and who knows, they might even offer you an opportunity to try out for a film? In fact, that movie that those young girls like…oh, what’s it called…it’s the new Disney Princess film…Rapunzel, is it? Anyway, the villain from that film was actually voiced by a Broadway actress. So you never know.)

Talk to your parents. Explain to them that maybe you’ll try acting and if that doesn’t work out, you’ll try your luck at being a lawyer or a doctor. College is your choice; however, parental support is also important.

Good luck!

--Dr. John Watson


 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my. I remember I wanted to be an actress in my younger days. I tried everything you could possibly think of. No one wanted me, I guess. And now look where I am: a landlady, renting out to people like Sherlock Holmes (no matter how hard he tries to convince you he has no heart, don't believe him; I've witnessed his caring soul firsthand)

    Although...I suppose I have become an actress. After all, when dealing with Sherlock, one must always be on their guard. Take that time the fellow fell out of the window, for example...

    ~Mrs. Hudson

    ReplyDelete